Air New Zealand has announced it will cease operating services between Hong Kong and London from 4 March 2013 and has formed an alliance with Cathay Pacific on the Auckland - Hong Kong route with both carriers continuing to operate their existing frequencies between these two cities.
Hong Kong - London Re-accommodation Details
The last flights between Hong Kong and London will be as follows:
- 3 March 2013 northbound Hong Kong to London; and
- 3 March 2013 southbound London to Hong Kong
- The last through flight originating in Auckland to London via Hong Kong will depart Auckland on 2 March 2013
The majority of customers currently ticketed to travel with Air New Zealand between Hong Kong and London after these last flights will be re-accommodated onto Cathay Pacific’s services between Hong Kong and London which depart within an hour of Air New Zealand’s existing service. Customers will be contacted by the agent that made their booking regards to their re-accommodation options and to reissue their tickets.
Un-ticketed customers should contact their booking agent to discuss alternative travel arrangements.
Regardless of which service ticketed customers are re-accommodated onto we will ensure Airpoints members continue to receive the Airpoints Dollars and Status Points earnings as per their original booking.
Once an Airpoints member’s travel has been completed, Air New Zealand will make a manual adjustment to their account to make up any difference in Airpoints Dollars or Status Points if the carrier they have been re-accommodated onto between Hong Kong and London has lower earning rates than their original booking.
Terms & Conditions of Airpoints Adjustment
- Only flights booked and ticketed prior to 5 November 2012 are eligible for the re-accommodation adjustment.
- The re-accommodation adjustment will only be made if the origin and destination of the journey is the same as originally booked prior to 5 November 2012.
- Passengers who have not provided their Airpoints number at the time of their original booking must claim the missing adjustment by providing their Air New Zealand booking reference and ticket number online through their signed in Air New Zealand account.
Alliance with Cathay Pacific between Auckland and Hong Kong
Both airlines will continue to operate their same flight frequency between Hong Kong and Auckland. Code share will be introduced onto each other’s services from 31 January 2013 which will open up additional flight options for each airline’s customers beyond Auckland and Hong Kong.
The alliance will go on sale on 12 December 2012 and earning and spending of Airpoints Dollars on Cathay Pacific will commence from 31 January 2013.