Air New Zealand offers customers a range of seat selection options which vary depending on the flight, the type of fare purchased and frequent flyer membership.
We also offer the ability to preselect and pay for a specific seat ("paid Seat Select"), subject to the following conditions.
- Paid Seat Select is only available on some Air New Zealand ticketed and operated flights. The number of prepay seats is limited and may not be available on all flights or on all dates and blackout periods may apply.
- Paid Seat Select may be booked up to 3 hours prior to departure for international flights and up to 30 minutes prior to departure for domestic New Zealand flights. Booking paid Seat Select through the Contact Centre will incur service fees.
- Passengers with special requirements, such as medical assistance passengers or unaccompanied minors are not eligible to use paid Seat Select.
- Use of paid Seat Select is subject to Air New Zealand's Conditions of Carriage.
- A paid Seat Select fee is applicable for one flight only.
- Fees are non-refundable except in limited circumstances described in the Refunds section below.
- Air New Zealand reserves the right to withdraw paid Seat Select completely or change the rates, terms and conditions of the paid seating products at any time prior to purchase with or without notice.
- Air New Zealand makes no representation or warranty as to the advantages, features or experience of any particular seat and you confirm that you have made your selection relying on your own judgment and preferences.
- You may change your seat to another available seat up to 3 hours prior to departure for international flights and up to 30 minutes prior to departure for domestic New Zealand flights. If you select a more expensive seat, you will be required to pay the difference. If you wish to move to a seat of lesser value, you will not be refunded the difference.
- Paid Seat Select reservations can be transferred between flights in the same booking, but cannot be transferred to another passenger or booking.
- Air New Zealand reserves the right to move passengers from prepaid seats for operational, safety, legal or security reasons. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Where any passenger with medical requirements needs to be accommodated, whether in compliance of legal requirements or not.
- Where a passenger with a disability needs to be accommodated, whether in compliance of legal requirements or not.
- Where there is a safety reason that prevents the seat from being occupied.
- Where there is an aircraft change.
Exit Row Seats
- Some seats may be in emergency exit rows which are situated next to or immediately behind the exit door ("Exit Row Seats"). The Civil Aviation Authority requires that in an evacuation, persons seated in Exit Row Seats must be able to provide assistance and open the emergency door. For this reason, to sit in an Exit Row Seat, you must be an able bodied person, 15 years and over, in full fitness and able to understand printed or verbal instructions given in English. You must be willing, as well as able, to assist in the case of an emergency evacuation. When requesting an Exit Row Seat you will be asked to verify your eligibility.
- As the armrests in Exit Row Seats are fixed, it is a requirement that any person booking an Exit Row Seat must fit between the armrests without encroaching on adjacent seats.
- Air New Zealand has the sole discretion to determine whether a passenger meets the requirements to sit in an Exit Row Seat. If Air New Zealand determines that you do not meet the requirements, you will be assigned an alternative seat and you will not be refunded any additional amount paid for the Exit Row Seat.
- If after the date of requesting an Exit Row Seat you become unable to fulfil the requirements set out above, you should contact Air New Zealand. You will be eligible for a refund if you contact us at least 48 hours before your flight.
- Paid Seat Select fees will not be refunded if you:
- Cancel your flight;
- Change your mind and decide not to utilise your prepaid seat;
- Have purchased (or someone else has purchased on your behalf) the wrong seat by mistake;
- Are voluntarily or involuntarily upgraded; or
- You have purchased a seat in breach of these terms and conditions.
- Paid Seat Select fees are refundable if:
- There is an aircraft change or flight disruption and Air New Zealand is unable to seat you in a suitable alternative seat.
- There is an operational, safety or security reason completely outside of your control and we cannot offer you your paid seat.
- You have 14 days after the last flight in your itinerary to apply for a refund.
- Refund applications must be submitted online. If you do not have computer access, please phone the Contact Centre for help (this may incur a service fee). Refund applications cannot be processed at the airport or onboard.
- Air New Zealand will only make a refund to the same form of payment (e.g. credit card) used to pay for the seat.
- You may be eligible for a full refund of your paid Seat Select fees within 24 hours of booking, provided that travel is at least 1 week (168 hours) before departure and you are flying to/from the USA.