A stopover in Singapore
Our 48-hour itinerary covers some of the best things to do in Singapore, beginning with a nature walk in fresh air and sunshine, to help your body make the switch to local time.
Ideas for today:
- Fuel up with a tropical fruit breakfast or tuck into something Singaporean, like traditional coffee and kaya toast (a custardy mix of coconut jam, sugar and eggs on toast). Ask your hotel to recommend a traditional coffee shop nearby.
- Head to the magnificent Singapore Botanic Gardens to stretch your legs in a peaceful green environment. Just five minutes by taxi from the Orchard Road shops, this UNESCO World Heritage site covers 200 acres and includes Swan Lake Singapore and the National Orchid Garden.
- Discover the charming low-rise hipster neighbourhood of Tiong Bahru. Check out Tiong Bahru Market and explore the galleries, shops and cafes in this beautifully restored historic housing area.
- Jump over to the hustle and bustle of Chinatown for temples, market stalls and delicious food. If the queue's not too long, try Liao Fan Hawker Chan for Michelin star soy sauce chicken rice.
- Head up 57 levels to the Marina Bay Sands SkyPark observation deck to see the wonders of Singapore from above.
- Stroll around the waterfront to Merlion Park for a selfie in front of the Merlion statue (part fish, part lion), then board a traditional 'bumboat' for a relaxing tour of Singapore from the water.
- Call into the historic Raffles Hotel for an original Singapore Sling cocktail in the Long Bar.
- For a casual and authentic dinner, head for Makansutra Gluttons Bay. This outdoor food court is one of the best places to enjoy Singapore's famous chilli crab.
- Catch Spectra, the spectacular free laser light and water show that's on every night. It starts at 8pm and 9pm Sunday to Thursday; and 8pm, 9pm and 10pm on Friday and Saturday. Best viewing is at Event Plaza across the water from the Merlion.
After a good night's sleep you'll be ready for some serious shopping. Point yourself towards the legendary Orchard Road malls. Later today you can explore the popular Bugis neighbourhood and exotic Little India before heading to the tranquillity of Gardens by the Bay or the excitement of Sentosa Island.
Ideas for today:
- Orchard Road has glamorous high-end malls, global luxury brands, as well as local favourites.
- Catch a taxi to Little India to explore ornate temples, the 24-hour Mustafa Centre shops and bustling street stalls. On Serangoon Road and Racecourse Road you'll find a huge selection of flavour-packed Indian restaurants for lunch.
- Explore the wonders of Singapore's ArtScience Museum. Located at Marina Bay Sands, this lotus-flower-shaped museum combines art, science, culture and technology.
- Stroll to Gardens by the Bay, one of the top Singapore attractions. It includes Cloud Forest Singapore, where you can walk to the top of the world's tallest indoor waterfall, and the giant vertical gardens of Supertree Grove.
- If you're travelling with children or teenagers, visit Universal Studios on Sentosa Island for themed roller coasters, rides, shows and street entertainment.
- For your second and final night in the Lion City, celebrate at a top Chinese restaurant. Good choices include Din Tai Fung, Hai Di Lao, Summer Pavilion and Red Star.
Refreshed and renewed, you're ready to fly to the UK, Europe, India or Southeast Asia with one of our partner airlines. Our online booking engine takes care of the whole trip, from Auckland to wherever you want to go.