Connecting at Shanghai
Transit to/from Lufthansa, Austrian Air, Swiss, Scandinavian, Eva Air or Virgin Atlantic
Air New Zealand customers may be through-checked when transiting via Shanghai/Pudong in the same day with an international onward connection to/from Lufthansa (LH), Austrian Air (OS), Swiss International (LX), Scandinavian (SK), Eva Air (BR), and Virgin Atlantic (VS) airline partners.
- When checking in, ensure that your baggage tag shows your final destination, and not just Shanghai 'PVG'
- On arrival at Shanghai/Pudong, do not clear Customs and Immigration or collect your luggage. As there are no border formalities completed, there is no requirement to hold a transit visa. Please also note, if your onward travel with either of these airlines is not on the same calendar day but within 144 hours (six days) of your arrival - you may be eligible to transit without a visa, if departing for your next International flight from Shanghai Pudong Airport. For more information see Interpretation of 144 hour Visa exemption Transit Policy
- Proceed directly to the Transit Desk situated on the arrival floor located at Gate 71 of Terminal 2, and contact the desk of the airline you are connecting to
All other transit customers
- If arriving on an international service you need to clear Chinese Customs and Immigration. You must hold a valid visa (if required, please check with the local Chinese Embassy or Consulate for the latest requirements) and passport to transit China
- There are certain nationalities that can transit up to 144 hours (six days) at Shanghai Pudong without a visa. This is only on the condition that a confirmed onward ticket is held and you are arriving and departing from Shanghai Pudong airport. For more information see Interpretation of 144 hour Visa exemption Transit Policy
- Collect your luggage from the carousel at the Arrival Hall
- Exit the Arrival Hall with your luggage
- If you are connecting to a flight departing Terminal 2 where Air New Zealand operates from, proceed upstairs to the check-in area in the Departure Hall on the 1st level
- If you are connecting to a flight departing from Terminal 1, proceed to the check-in area in Terminal 1 with your luggage
per person one way from Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch
Terms and conditions: Advertised fares are based on travel originating in New Zealand. For airfare only bookings paid with credit, debit or charge card, a fee of $17.50 per person per one way long-haul journey applies. For airfare only bookings made through our Contact Centre a non-refundable service fee of $60 per person, per one way long-haul journey applies. Customers who purchase fares using Airpoints Dollars™ online will be required to pay the government and airport charges which are included in this fare by internet banking or credit card. Taxes on return sector will vary from those on the outbound journey. Travel is via Air New Zealand operated non-stop services from Auckland to Shanghai, Singapore, Hong Kong, Taipei and beyond on partner airlines. Flights to Beijing, Hong Kong & Singapore may be operated by partner airlines. Travel ex Christchurch/Wellington is via Auckland on Air New Zealand domestic flights, excluding travel ex Wellington or Christchurch via Auckland to Singapore, Phuket and Bangkok. Travel from provincial points in New Zealand to international flights ex Auckland on the Air New Zealand network available with additional costs. Connections from provincial New Zealand points requiring an overnight break in the journey will be at the passenger’s own expense. Flight and routing restrictions may apply. An additional $30 per one-way journey will apply for Economy class travel Friday-Sunday in both directions. Seats are limited and may not be available on all flights or on all dates. Prices correct as at 1 March 2019. Offer is valid for new bookings only. New deals may be released at any time.
Cancellation/changes: Air New Zealand’s conditions of carriage, General Terms and Conditions, Long haul fare rules and Airpoints™ terms & conditions apply. See further baggage information. All promotional offers advertised on this website are correct at time of publishing, however Air New Zealand reserves all rights to modify, amend or withdraw any promotion offer advertised at any time, without further notice. TTY assistance is available for deaf and hearing impaired via NZ Relay on 0800 4 711 711.