Connecting at Shanghai
Transit to/from Lufthansa, Austrian Air, Swiss, Scandinavian, Eva Air or Virgin Atlantic
Air New Zealand customers may be through-checked when transiting via Shanghai/Pudong on the same day with an international onward connection to/from Lufthansa (LH), Austrian Air (OS), Swiss International (LX), Scandinavian (SK), Eva Air (BR), and Virgin Atlantic (VS) airline partners.
- When checking in, ensure that your baggage tag shows your final destination, and not just Shanghai 'PVG'
- On arrival at Shanghai/Pudong, do not clear Customs and Immigration or collect your luggage. As there are no border formalities completed, there is no requirement to hold a transit visa
- Please also note, if your onward travel with either of these airlines is not on the same calendar day but within 144 hours (six days) of your arrival - you may be eligible to transit without a visa under the 144 hour Visa exemption Transit Policy
- Proceed directly to the Transit Desk situated on the arrival floor located at Gate 71 of Terminal 2, and contact the desk of the airline you are connecting to
All other transit customers
- If arriving on an international service you need to clear Chinese Customs and Immigration. You must hold a valid visa (if required, please check with the local Chinese Embassy or Consulate for the latest requirements) and passport to transit China
- There are certain nationalities that can transit up to 144 hours (six days) at Shanghai Pudong without a visa, if they hold confirmed travel (via onward air, cruise or train ticket) to a third country (not back to NZ), and depart from one of the following locations - Hangzhou (HGH), Nanjing (NKG), Shanghai Honqiao (SHA) and Pudong (PVG), Shanghai Port International Cruise Terminal, Shanghai Wusongkou (Baoshan) International Cruise Terminal or Shanghai Railway station
- Collect your luggage from the carousel at the Arrival Hall
- Exit the Arrival Hall with your luggage
- If you are connecting to a flight departing Terminal 2 where Air New Zealand operates from, proceed upstairs to the check-in area in the Departure Hall on the 1st level
- If you are connecting to a flight departing from Terminal 1, proceed to the check-in area in Terminal 1 with your luggage
Premium Economy: 8 - 23 Jan & 10 Feb - 30 Sep 2020
Business Premier™: 8 May - 6 Aug 2020
An additional $30 one way applies for Economy travel on Fri-Sun. An additional $60 one way applies for Premium Economy travel on Fri-Sun.
Terms and conditions: Advertised fares are based on travel originating in New Zealand. For airfare only bookings paid with credit, debit or charge card, a fee of $17.50 per person per one way long-haul journey applies. For airfare only bookings made through our Contact Centre a non-refundable service fee of $60 per person, per one way journey applies. Customers who purchase fares using Airpoints Dollars™ online will be required to pay the government and airport charges which are included in this fare by internet banking or credit card. Taxes on return sector will vary from those on the outbound journey. Travel is via Air New Zealand operated non-stop services ex Auckland to Shanghai, Seoul, Singapore, Hong Kong, Taipei, Tokyo & Osaka. Flights to Singapore and Hong Kong may be operated by partner airlines. Travel ex Wellington or Christchurch is via Auckland on Air New Zealand domestic flights. Connections from provincial New Zealand points requiring an overnight break in the journey will be at the passenger’s own expense. Flight and routing restrictions may apply. An additional $30 per one-way journey applies for travel on Friday-Sunday in Economy class and $60 per one-way journey in Premium Economy. Premium Economy & Business Premier: Air New Zealand domestic flights and connecting flights will be in Economy class. Seats are limited and may not be available on all flights or on all dates. Prices correct as at 5 November 2019. Offer is valid for new bookings only. New deals may be released at any time.
Cancellation/changes: Air New Zealand's conditions of carriage, general terms and conditions, long haul fare rules, Islands fare rules and Airpoints™ terms & conditions apply. See further baggage information. TTY assistance is available for deaf and hearing impaired via NZ Relay on 0800 4 711 711.