Online and mobile check-in
Check in on your mobile or online, then drop off your bags
and head to the gate.
Online check-in is open 24 hours before the scheduled departure of your flight and closes:
30 minutes before domestic New Zealand flights
90 minutes before international flights (120 minutes before flights to/from the United States)
- Some destinations may require a much earlier check-in, so please check your e-ticket for further information
The Air NZ mobile app lets you check in and shows real-time flight information. You can check in any passengers on your booking at the same time or individually. You can see all your group's boarding passes, and even order a coffee in the lounge.
Please note, once you have checked in online you are unable to cancel your check-in. If you have checked in and you do not plan to fly, please contact us.
- If the first flight in your itinerary is operated by a partner airline. You'll need to check in at the partner airline's check-in desk or website
Due to increased border restrictions, online check-in may not be available. If this is the case, check-in will need to be manually completed at the airport. Please make sure you give yourself plenty of time at the airport. See IATA Travel Centre for further information.
Choosing your seat
You can still choose your seat when you check in online or on your mobile.
Checking in your bags
If you have bags to check in, take them to the kiosks at the airport. You can print your bag tags, then take your baggage to the bag drop area.
Remember, you need to allow enough time for us to validate your passport and process your bags. See your flight details for your check-in and bag drop closing time.
If you need more bags, you can arrange pre-paid extra bags online before you get to the airport.
If you only have carry-on bags, go straight to security screening and on to your gate.
Your boarding pass
If you check in online, we'll send your boarding pass by email. You can print it at home, or at the check-in kiosks at the airport. If you're in New Zealand, we can scan your emailed boarding pass from your phone.
If you check in on mobile, we can scan your boarding pass from the app.
Sometimes you have to check in at the airport
We can't always offer online or mobile check-in.
You'll need to check in at the airport if:
- The airport you're departing from doesn't accept home-printed or mobile boarding passes. These airports include Norfolk Island, Singapore's Changi International and Bali's Ngurah Rai International
- You're flying out of Niue. You'll need to check-in at the airport at least two hours before your flight departs
- If you need special assistance
- If you're a child travelling alone.
Remember, you can only check in if you hold the correct entry and transit requirements, such as a visa, ESTA or proof of onward travel.