Carry-on baggage prohibited and restricted items
Local airport security restrictions on carry-on items vary from country to country and you may need to check local criteria on restricted items.
Before you travel, we recommend that you visit recalls.govt.nz for a list of products that have been recalled due to faults.
Quick list of prohibited items
- Sharp objects or cutting implements, such as knives, box cutters, letter openers, scissors, tradesman's tools, screwdrivers and darts
- Sporting goods or club like items, such as baseball bats, pool cues, golf clubs, lacrosse sticks, ski poles, brass knuckles, hammers, boomerangs and didgeridoos
- More than one box of matches or lighter (see additional information below)
- Firearms or weapons including replicas
- Nearly all flammable, explosive, corrosive or toxic items
- Printer or toner cartridges weighing 16oz or 453g or greater on flights departing to, through or from the USA, Vancouver and London
- Liquid oxygen systems (see gaseous oxygen cylinders under approval required below)
- Disabling devices containing an irritant or incapacitating substance, such as pepper spray
- Electric shock weapons containing dangerous goods such as explosives, compressed gas or lithium batteries
- Aerosols that are not medicinal or toiletry items
- Security type equipment - such as attaché cases, cash boxes and cash bags - that include lithium batteries, pyrotechnical material or other dangerous goods as part of the equipment
- Hoverboard, Mini-Segway, solo wheel, air wheel, balance wheel, Lithium powered skateboard or Personal transportation devices with on-board storage and similar lithium battery powered small recreational vehicles
- Installed or spare lithium batteries with ratings more than 160Wh or 8g lithium content, see travelling with lithium batteries
- Battery-powered wheelchairs or mobility devices may only be carried as checked-in baggage and you must tell us about them when you book. For information on travelling with each battery type, see services for people with wheelchairs
- Permeation devices for calibrating air quality monitoring equipment; but are allowed as checked-in baggage under strict conditions, contact us for details
- Samsung Note 7 cannot be carried, either on your person, in carry-on or in checked in luggage
- Durian fruit cannot be carried, either on your person, in carry-on or in checked in luggage
- Culturally or religiously significant items, such as Mere, Patu, Taiaha, Dirks, and Sgian Dubhs. Tokotoko is permitted in cabin only if required as a mobility aid. Kirpans are permitted in cabin only if blade is less than 6cm.