Domestic travel during NZ COVID-19 Alert Level changes
As a result of the recent outbreak of COVID-19 in New Zealand, Alert Level changes are in place across the country.
Following the New Zealand Government's announcement on Monday 20 September:
- Auckland remains at Alert Level 4 and will move to Alert Level 3 at 11:59pm, Tuesday 21 September.
- The rest of New Zealand remains at Alert Level 2.
Please visit the Unite Against COVID-19 Government website to check if you are eligible to travel, and for further information about travelling across Alert Level boundaries, including transiting in Auckland.
What to expect at Alert Level 3 & 4
- Physical distancing is required at check-in, throughout the terminal.
- Masks are mandatory on all Air New Zealand services.
- Air New Zealand lounges will be closed.
- Valet parking will be available for pick-up only.
- Our Regional Fast Bag service is paused.
- Unaccompanied Minor travel is not available.
- Pets are only able to travel via cargo using an approved pet transporter.
What to expect at Alert Level 2
- Physical distancing is required throughout the terminal.
- Masks continue to be mandatory on all Air New Zealand services.
- Air New Zealand lounges will be open with restrictions in place.
- Our Fast Bag service will be available on regional services.*
- Unaccompanied Minor travel is available for NZ domestic travel.*
- Pets are able to travel as checked-in baggage.*
* For customers travelling to, from, or through ports with differing COVID-19 Alert Levels, the higher Alert Level restrictions will apply for their journey.
Further information about travelling within New Zealand can be found by visiting our COVID-19 information hub.
Changes to our Domestic Schedule
While Alert Level restrictions are in place, travel is restricted and we will be operating a reduced schedule. New flights have been added to allow travel throughout regions in Alert Level 2.
If you have a domestic flight booked for travel during Alert Levels and are no longer eligible to travel, you are able to change your booking or hold your ticket in credit via our Manage Booking tool.
The ability to hold a domestic travel booking in credit is available to anyone who is currently booked to travel up to and including 31 October 2021.
Should a change in our schedule affect your flight, you will receive an email from us confirming that your booking has been held in credit. If your credit is available to use online, you can view further details here.
Getting in touch with us
As our Contact Centre and Customer Care teams will be receiving a higher number of calls and messages, we recommend seeing if you can manage your booking online before getting in touch.
Thank you for your patience while you are waiting to connect with us.