Air New Zealand respects the privacy of its customers.
For the purposes of applicable privacy legislation, the “Data Controller” in respect of your personal information is Air New Zealand Limited.
Personal information is any piece of information that relates to a living individual (natural person) who can be identified, directly or indirectly.
We will collect the personal information you provide us and we may also collect personal information online from your computer, mobile or other device. We may collect from and share your personal information with a range of third parties, including the other passengers named in your booking, reservation agents, travel service providers, other airline carriers, medical, safety, aviation and security personnel. We may also disclose your personal information to customs and immigration, governmental and law enforcement agencies. For example, when we are required to do so in accordance with customs, transportation security and civil aviation laws.
If you are an Airpoints Member, or hold any account associated with us, we may also collect from and share your personal information with a range of third parties including our Airpoints Partners and our other third party business partners. We will deal with your personal information for a broad range of purposes including: to facilitate the services you have requested, to better understand your preferences, and to generally conduct and develop our business.
If you choose not to provide us with the personal information that we request then we may not be able to offer our services and products to you.
You may have rights under privacy legislation to access, delete and correct the personal information we hold about you. If you would like to access or correct your personal information, or if you have any questions or complaints in relation to privacy, please contact us. If we decide to refuse your request for correction of your personal information, we will notify you of our decision in writing, if required by law.
1.1 Cookies and online tracking technologies
- your domain name and your IP address;
- your online Air New Zealand Account password information;
- your internet browser software and type of computer or mobile device used;
- your operating system and platform;
- your device geo-locator information (if you have downloaded our mobile application) so we can provide you with flight arrival and travel information;
- your preferred webpage layout and language preferences;
- the path you took to get to our websites;
- information about your online activity on our websites, such as web pages viewed, paths you used through our websites, options you selected and the search terms you used;
- the bookings you made on our websites and the bookings you abandoned, including the information you entered when you made or started to make a booking; and
- if you visit the online Airpoints Mall, information about your online activity, browsing preferences and online retailer purchases.
1.2 Booking information
We collect and use the personal information that you provide to Air New Zealand and to ‘Reservations Agents’ and the information that Reservation Agents provide to us in relation to your bookings for flights and travel related services (for example, if you make a booking or if a booking is made on your behalf). The term ‘Reservations Agents’ includes reservations agents of Air New Zealand and Air New Zealand Holidays, third party travel agents, third party online travel agents, airline customer service representatives and Airpoints representatives.
The personal information we may collect about you in relation to a booking includes your name, address, date of birth, nationality, passport number, credit card details, bank account details, phone numbers, email address, flight and other travel details, your special meal or special assistance requests, loyalty programme membership, the identity of persons who may be travelling with you on your booking, their personal details, if provided, and any other personal information you may volunteer (or which may be volunteered on your behalf) as part of the booking.
1.3 Information we receive from other sources
If you make a booking with us, use any of our services or use our websites, we may receive information about you from third parties. We work closely with third parties (including for example, business partners, sub-contractors in technical, payment and delivery services, advertising networks, analytics providers, search information providers, credit reference agencies) and may receive information about you from them.
1.4 Sensitive information
We may request and collect (from you or a Reservations Agent) your ‘sensitive information’, such as information about your religious beliefs or health / dietary requirements, for the purpose of helping to fulfil your special needs requests (for example if you have requested a special meal for health or religious reasons). We may disclose ‘sensitive information’ about you to our agents and third parties (such as airports, catering companies and their business partners) for the purpose of fulfilling your special needs requests. These agents and third parties may be located outside of New Zealand or the European Economic Area in countries who may not have data protection laws that are comparable to the laws of the country in which you reside.
1.5 Medical and other occasions
We may collect and disclose personal information about Air New Zealand passengers, including sensitive details about your physical and/or mental health, race, religious and other similar beliefs and criminal records, to third party medical, safety and/or security personnel if we believe that the collection or disclosure of the information is desirable to lessen or prevent a serious threat to an individual’s life, health or safety or a serious threat to public health or public safety; or if we believe that it would be in the interests of aviation safety and security.
We may collect (either directly or from third party airline carriers) personal information about passengers who exhibit disruptive behaviour onboard any aircraft. This may include the passenger’s name, flight booking details, and information about the nature of the disruptive behaviour. We may disclose this information to security personnel, law enforcement agencies and to third party airline carriers if we consider that disclosure is reasonably appropriate in the interests of aviation safety and security.
1.6 Koru Members
If you are a Koru Member, we collect the personal information you provide us as part of your Koru membership and information about your use of Koru membership benefits, in addition to any personal information collected as part of your Airpoints membership (see section 1.7 below). This personal information may be processed for the purposes described in section 2 below.
1.7 Airpoints Members
If you are an Airpoints Member, we collect personal information about your Airpoints membership. This includes the information you provide on your Airpoints application form; your Airpoints number, your online Air New Zealand Account password information; your travel history; country of residence; information about any giftees you may register on your Gifting Register; and if you choose to complete an optional ‘Travel Profile’ on our website, we will collect this information.
We also collect personal information about you from our Airpoints Partners including information about your transaction and purchase history at retail stores and online stores, where you use your Airpoints membership, and/or where you earn Airpoint Dollars and Status Points.
We may collect personal information about you from third parties to verify your identity and address.
We may collect personal information about you from our third party business partners to assist in identifying suitable offers and promotions from us and our third party business partners that you might be interested in. We may also collect personal information about you that is publically available.
If you are an Air New Zealand Airpoints credit card holder, OneSmart or Travelcard holder, we may collect personal information about you from our third party business partners about your membership and use of these products, including transaction history information.
If you apply for or hold an Air New Zealand Airpoints credit card, we may collect personal information from Kiwibank and MasterCard in relation to your application for and the use of your Air New Zealand Airpoints credit card, including your transaction history information.
If you apply for or hold an OneSmart Account, we may collect personal information about you from BNZ and MasterCard in relation to the use of your OneSmart Account, including your transaction history information.
If you are an Airpoints Member, we may also collect, use and disclose personal information about you in accordance with the Airpoints Terms and Conditions.
1.8 Promotions and surveys
If you enter an Air New Zealand competition or promotion, we will collect the information you provide as part of your entry. If you provide us with the names and contact details of any other people that you would like to have participate in our contests or promotions, we will also collect this information, and we draw your attention to section 6 below.
If you complete a survey conducted by or on behalf of Air New Zealand, including an ‘airnzmyvoice’ survey, we will collect information about you in your survey answers, including your name, unless you choose to answer anonymously.
1.9 Inflight entertainment and purchases
If you travel on an Air New Zealand flight, we may collect information about your use of the onboard inflight entertainment system. This may include information about: your inflight purchases; your inflight entertainment setting preferences; your audio and audio-visual preferences and playlists; and your survey answers, if you choose to complete a survey using the inflight entertainment system.
We may collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information (including the personal information that you provide to us and that we obtain from third parties) for a number of purposes:
- to assist in providing the services you request, including flight bookings, catering services, ground handling services and/or special assistance services;
- to communicate with you and process your requests;
- to operate call centres and some travel sales functions;
- to provide electronic funds transfer services, credit card account processing and related services;
- to comply with laws and regulations and to assist Customs and Immigration officials;
to notify you of flight information and flight reminder alerts;
- to verify your identity and address;
- to promote aviation safety and security;
- to conduct market, product or sales research, data processing and statistical analysis, and business improvement analysis;
- to better understand your preferences so that we can improve our products and services and provide you with a more personalised experience;
- to present you with information about suitable offers and promotions of goods and services (from us and our selected business partners) that might interest you;
- to present you with survey requests and to obtain feedback in respect of our products and services;
- to measure interest in and improve our products, services and websites;
- to administer the Air New Zealand Airpoints and Koru membership programmes, and to administer membership benefits for Air New Zealand Airpoints credit card holders, OneSmart Account holders, Travelcard account holders, Direct Earn Financial Product account holders, and holders of other finance-related Air New Zealand products;
- if you hold an Air New Zealand Airpoints credit card, your personal information may be used by Air New Zealand and Kiwibank for the purposes of:
- improving services and/or benefits offered to you in respect of the credit card;
- furthering the relationship between you and Air New Zealand and/or Kiwibank, including by identifying and presenting offers for products, services or promotions from Air New Zealand and/or Kiwibank;
- identifying and marketing the products, services or promotions of Air New Zealand and/or Kiwibank’s third party partners that may be of interest to you (or allowing such third party partners to do so);
- carrying out aggregated statistical data analysis on Air New Zealand's, Kiwibank's or our respective partners’ behalf; and/or
- conducting market research;
- otherwise to conduct and develop our business; and
- any other use that you authorise.
We use the personal information that is collected online from your computer, mobile or device for the following additional purposes:
- to enable you to use certain services on our websites (such as enabling you to sign into your online Air New Zealand Account);
- if you choose to complete a ‘Traveller’s Profile’ on our website, we will use this information to pre-fill certain data fields when you make a booking on our website, to save you time. We will use your traveller’s profile information for billing, to confirm bookings and to notify you of flight changes;
- to administer our websites and mobile applications and for internal operations;
- to identify and fix technical problems with our online booking systems;
- to address customer questions or complaints;
- as part of our efforts to keep our websites safe and secure;
- to track and analyse your usage of our websites to improve the relevance of our website content;
- to measure the effectiveness of and to improve the relevance of internet advertising and promotional emails;
- if you completed a survey conducted for or on behalf of Air New Zealand, we will match your survey answers to your Airpoints membership and/or the other information we hold about you, so that we can better understand your preferences (unless you choose to answer anonymously);
- to credit you with the correct Airpoint Dollars for purchases made via the online Airpoints Mall;
- for statistical analysis, sales and marketing research and for business improvement analysis; and
- any other use that you authorise.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal information for marketing purposes. You can exercise your right to ask us not to process your personal information for marketing purposes at any time by contacting us; by unsubscribing to our marketing emails; and if you are an Airpoints Member, by updating your email communication preferences on the ‘My Profile’ page on our websites.
We may disclose your personal information:
- within the Air New Zealand corporate group;
- to Reservation Agents, third party airline carriers, travel service providers, car rental agencies, hotels, and other third party service providers to facilitate your travel arrangements and your specific requests;
- to the other passengers named in your booking when you or they check in online via a computer, mobile or other device;
- to Airport management and to aviation safety and security personnel where desirable to lessen or prevent a serious threat to an individual’s life, health or safety or a serious threat to public health or public safety; or if we believe that it would be in the interests of aviation safety and security;
- to the Customs and Immigration authorities in the countries named in your travel itinerary (as we are required by the law to disclose passenger information, including information about your travel arrangements, to customs and immigration authorities in a number of countries) to be able to provide the services you have requested to you or where we are legally required to do so;
- to third parties contracted by us in order to perform our services;
- to third party data processing agents to assist us in providing our services to you;
- to third party survey analysis agencies (we contractually obligate these third parties to protect the confidentiality of customer survey information) to assist us in improving our services;
- to governmental agencies, law enforcement agencies, safety and security personnel, if required to do so by law, court order, subpoena or other legal process; or where we are requested to do so by a governmental or law enforcement authority;
- to governmental, aviation, security, safety, law enforcement agencies and medical agencies if we believe in good faith that it is in the interests of aviation security or safety to disclose your personal information; or if we believe in good faith that disclosure is desirable to lessen or prevent a serious threat to an individual's life, health or safety or a serious threat to public health or public safety;
- to third party organisations for the purpose of conducting market research or business analysis for us;
- to International Customer Loyalty Programmes Pty Ltd, the operator of the online Airpoints Mall, if you shop online at the Airpoints Mall;
- to our third party business partners including marketing and advertising companies, data processing companies and data analysis companies to conduct sales, marketing and advertising research and analysis on our behalf so that we can: better understand your preferences; carry out business improvement analysis; present you with suitable offers that you might be interested in; and for any of the other purpose described in this Policy;
- to third party providers of information assurance services who we have entered agreements with;
- to our professional advisors and business partners who support us in providing our products and services; and
- our assignees or potential assignees.
If you are an Airpoints Member, Air New Zealand Airpoints credit card holder, and/or an OneSmart Account holder, we may also disclose your personal information (including, but not limited to, your name, date of birth, address and email address) to the following third parties:
- to third party business partners to facilitate your Airpoints membership benefits;
- to Kiwibank and MasterCard if you apply for or hold an Air New Zealand Airpoints credit card;
- to Airpoints Partners and other third parties, to enable us, or Airpoints Partners and other third parties, to identify and present you with offers that may be of interest to you (including by sending you commercial emails) and generally to operate and develop our or their business;
- to Loyalty New Zealand Limited (if you use your Airpoints Card at Fly Buys participating retailers or if you link the Fly Buys number on your Airpoints Card to the accounts you have with Fly Buys Service Partners), to enable us and Loyalty New Zealand Limited to identify and present you with offers that may be of interest to you; and
- to BNZ and MasterCard to facilitate your OneSmart Account and to enable us and MasterCard to present you with offers that may be of interest to you.
We may disclose your sensitive personal information to third parties as outlined at sections 1.4 and 1.5 above.
We may also disclose your personal information to third parties:
- in the event that we buy or sell any business assets, in which case we may disclose your personal information to the prospective seller or buyer of such business assets;
- if Air New Zealand (or any of its subsidiaries) or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal information held about its customers will be one of those transferred assets.
- if we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal information in order to comply with any legal obligation (to the extent not specified above) or in order to enforce or apply our terms and conditions.
If we transfer your personal information to another country, we will take appropriate measures to protect the personal information we transfer (for example, by entering into contracts, where appropriate, with the recipient of such personal information and, in the case of a third party service provider, supervising such provider’s use of the personal information, where required by law.), We will take such appropriate measures unless there is a legitimate basis under applicable law to process the personal information without such consent (for example, where the processing is necessary to protect your vital interests.)
By providing us with your personal information, you consent to us transferring, storing and processing your personal information to countries worldwide.
Our websites are not intended for the use of minors under the age of 18 and we do not knowingly market to, or solicit information from minors. We cannot distinguish the age of visitors to our websites. If a minor has provided us with personal information without parental or guardian consent, the parent or guardian should contact us and we will remove the minor’s personal information.
If you choose not to provide us with the personal information that we request then we may not be able to offer our services and products to you. For example, we may not be able to complete a transaction or booking request or meet your special needs request. If you do not provide us with the information we request, we may not be able to accept your membership application for Koru or Airpoints membership or your entry into a promotion. We may not be able to provide you with Airpoints and/or Koru member benefits or complete your Airpoints transactions.
Under applicable privacy legislation, you may have rights to access, delete and correct the personal information held by us. You may request access to the personal information that we hold about you by contacting us. If we refuse access, or if we decide not to make the corrections or deletions you request, we will provide you with a written notice which sets out the reasons for the refusal, if required by law. We reserve the right, however, to deny or limit access or amendments to your personal information where we are entitled by law to do so (for example, where complying with the request could prejudice the prevention or detection of crime).
Where applicable law permits, we may charge a fee for responding to a request for access to and/or disclosure of personal information.
Freephone (calling within New Zealand): 0800 737 000
Tel: +64 (0) 9 357 3000
The Privacy Officer
Air New Zealand Limited
Private Bag 92007
We take care with our physical, technical, organisational and electronic security to protect your personal information against loss, damage, misuse, unauthorized access, erroneous disclosure, alteration, or destruction.
As part of our security measures, we use secure servers and industry standard data encryption for transmission of personal information on Air New Zealand websites, for example when you pay by credit card online. Known as SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) protocol, you can check this is active by looking for the padlock symbol on many browsers. SSL allows a secure connection between your internet browser and our internet server, using a private (or secret) key to encrypt the information.
To protect your own privacy, you should not share your Air New Zealand booking reference number, Airpoints membership number, your online Air New Zealand Account password information, your personal identification numbers (PINs), mobile device passcodes, passwords or access codes with others including third-party information aggregators, as the sharing of these details could enable others to access your personal account information on our websites.
You are responsible for ensuring the security of the personal information held on your computer, mobile or other device.
The Air New Zealand websites provide links to other websites for your ease and convenience. These websites may have different security standards and privacy policies. We recommend that you read the privacy policies for these websites before deciding whether to divulge information to these websites. We are not responsible for the information you choose to divulge to these websites.