You can earn Airpoints Dollars™ in lots of ways - catching a flight, using an Airpoints credit card or when you're shopping at Fly Buys partners.
In the air, you can earn Airpoints Dollars and Status Points on Air New Zealand* and many Star Alliance flights. Some flights with our other airline partners also earn Airpoints Dollars. On the ground, you can earn Airpoints Dollars with our hotel and rental car partners, by using an Airpoints credit card and, through shopping at Fly Buys Partners.
Ways to Earn Airpoints Dollars and Status Points on the Alliance with Cathay Pacific
On 31 January 2013 the Alliance between Air New Zealand and Cathay Pacific will start flying between Auckland and Hong Kong. From this date Airpoints members will also be able to earn Airpoints Dollars on Cathay Pacific flights between Auckland and Hong Kong.
On flights between Auckland and Hong Kong if you book an Air New Zealand flight, with an NZ flight number (e.g. NZ80 or NZ4990), even if it is operated by Cathay Pacific you will earn Airpoints Dollars based on the Airpoints Dollars Earned on Air New Zealand Flights table.
You will also earn Status Points for flights between Auckland and Hong Kong booked on Air New Zealand with an NZ flight number (e.g. NZ80 or NZ4990).
Airpoints Dollars earned on Airline Partner flights flown from 1 November 2012
As a result of the review of the Airpoints airline partnerships, we have realigned the Airpoints Dollars earning and spending amounts when Airpoints members fly or redeem on our Airline partners. The new earning and spending rates on Airline partners better reflect the value our Partners place on Airpoints members flying on them. There is no change to the Status Points earning when travelling on our Star Alliance partner airlines.
This means that for flights taken on our Airline Partners from 1 November 2012 Airpoints Dollars earned on Airline Partners will be changing and the amount of Airpoints Dollars required for Reward flights on our partners will be reducing for rewards booked from 1 November 2012.
Airpoints Dollars earned on Air New Zealand flights to and from Hawaii and Tahiti
From 1 June 2012 we began offering our full range of popular Seats to Suit products between Auckland and Tahiti, and from 24 July 2012 Seats to Suit is available on flights between Auckland and Hawaii.
Seats to Suit also operates to Australian and Island destinations offering customers cheaper fare options and greater flexibility to tailor their fares according to their needs. Seats to Suit has proved really popular with passengers enjoying the flexibility of being able to mix and match fare types. More information about our Seats to Suit fares.
Airpoints earning rates will be adjusted to reflect the changed fare structures for these destinations, although the way you earn Status points remains the same.
Airpoints Dollars earned on Air New Zealand flights
All Smart Saver fares, booked and ticketed from 1 February 2012, for Domestic, Tasman or Pacific Island flights will now earn Airpoints Dollars.
The bonus Airpoints Dollars that have been given on every trans-Tasman* Smart Saver The Works fare and every trans-Tasman Smart Saver Work Deluxe fare will apply for these fares if booked and ticketed before 1 February 2012.
Flights booked or ticketed before 1 February 2012 will use the Airpoints Dollars Earned on Air New Zealand flights before 1 February 2012 table. Flights booked or ticketed on or after 1 February 2012 and before 24 July 2012 will use the Airpoints Dollars Earned on Air New Zealand flights between 1 February 2012 and 24 July 2012 table.
Ways to Earn Airpoints Dollars and Status Points on the trans-Tasman Alliance with Virgin Australia
On 26 July 2011 the trans-Tasman Alliance between Air New Zealand and Virgin Australia started flying. From this date Airpoints members earn Airpoints Dollars on Virgin Australia flights (excluding flights operated by this airline to and from the Pacific Islands).
On trans-Tasman flights if you book an Air New Zealand flight, with an NZ flight number (eg NZ101 or NZ7000), even if it is operated by Virgin Australia you will earn Airpoints Dollars based on the Airpoints Dollars Earned on Air New Zealand Flights table.
You will also earn Status Points for trans-Tasman flights booked on Air New Zealand with an NZ flight number (eg NZ101 or NZ7000).
If you travel on Virgin Australia flight numbers (eg DJ101 or DJ8000) across the Tasman or on a flight operated by Virgin Australia domestically within Australia you will earn Airpoints Dollars based on the Airpoints Dollars Earned on Virgin Australia Flights table.
If you travel on any other Virgin Australia flight, excluding flights to or from the Pacific Islands, you will earn based on the Airpoints Dollars Earned on Partner Flights table.
Note: When you book with Air New Zealand, your flights will be numbered as follows:
- NZ100-NZ999 Air New Zealand operated Tasman flights
- NZ7900-NZ7998 Virgin Australia operated Tasman flights
- NZ7000-NZ7899 Virgin Australia operated Domestic Australia flights
* The bonus is earned on flights between New Zealand and Eastern Australia.
Always Provide Your Airpoints Membership Number
Be sure to quote your Airpoints™ membership number when you book so that all the Airpoints Dollars and Status Points you are due are credited to your account.
- When you book a flight with our airline partners or Air New Zealand - even on our grabaseat™ fares and Smart Saver fares (you may not earn Airpoints Dollars on these fares, but you will earn Status Points*).
- When making a reservation with a hotel or rental car partner, and at check-in.
Use Your Airpoints Card at Fly Buys Partners
When you shop at a Fly Buys partner, use your Airpoints membership card and the Fly Buys points you earn will be automatically converted to Airpoints Dollars.
Airpoints Credit Card
Use an Airpoints credit card on your everyday spend and earn Airpoints Dollars.
Keep track at myairnz
To check your Airpoints balance, update your details or manage your travel plans, login or register with myairnz.
Missing Some Airpoints Dollars or Status Points?
- Keep your original boarding passes and tickets (or E-ticket receipts) or partner receipts in a safe place until your Airpoints Dollars and Status Points appear on your online activity detail.
- If your Airpoints Dollars or Status Points haven't appeared on your Airpoints account after two weeks, you can let us know online by logging into myairnz. Simply choose 'Missing Airpoints Dollars?' under 'myPoints'. Login or register for myairnz here.
Airpoints Dollars Expiry
Airpoints Dollars are valid for 4-5 years. Each year, on your anniversary of joining Airpoints, all Airpoints Dollars earned more than four years earlier will expire. Every time you use Airpoints Dollars, the oldest ones are used first, keeping the Airpoints Dollars due to expire to a minimum. To see when your Airpoints Dollars are due to expire, login or register for myairnz.
Your Airpoints Dollars™ will not expire while you retain Gold Elite or Gold status. Should you move below Gold status, you will have until your next anniversary of joining to use any Airpoints Dollars that would have otherwise expired. If your next anniversary falls within two months of you moving below Gold status you will have two months to utilise these Airpoints Dollars.
* Please note: Airpoints members cannot earn Airpoints Dollars in conjunction with Domestic Smart Saver (W,T,L,S) or Tasman and Pacific Island Smart Saver (V,W,T, L,G,S,K,P), Airpoints Reward Travel (X,I), travel industry (incl. duty travel) classes (N,R), infant fares, any fares booked in F class and any grabaseat™ fare, including grabaseat Green Light fares, and including Domestic grabaseat fares (G,K,P). For Air New Zealand Operated Flights booked and ticketed on or after 1 February 2012, you can earn Airpoints Dollars for travel on Air New Zealand Tasman and/or Pacific Island Smart Saver Fares in accordance with the Airpoints Dollars Earned on the Air New Zealand Chart using the Origin to Destination One-Way Journey and the class of travel. Members of airline partner frequent flyer programmes are unable to earn points/miles in conjunction with fares booked in any of the classes noted above including Domestic Smart Saver (W,T,L,S) or Tasman and Pacific Island Smart Saver (V,W,T,L,G,S,K,P), regardless of route. Airpoints companion tickets are unable to be purchased in conjunction with fares booked in any of the classes noted above. Flights booked in conjunction with Airpoints Reward Travel (X,I), and travel industry (including duty travel) classes (N,R) and free tickets, prize competition tickets, discounted tickets and tickets purchased using Fly Buys points are not eligible to earn Status Points or credit towards tier status.