Paying for flights with Airpoints Dollars™
Paying for a flight with Airpoints Dollars is easy because one Airpoints Dollar is equal to one New Zealand Dollar. If you don't have enough Airpoints Dollars, you can pay for your flight with a mix of Airpoints Dollars and cash using Airpoints Flexipay. Or, you can top up your Airpoints™ balance with an Air New Zealand Airpoints credit card issued by Kiwibank.
Air New Zealand flights
- When booking online: Simply sign in to your online account with your Airpoints™ details before or while you are booking your flight and select to pay with Airpoints Dollars at the payment stage.
- When booking by phone: Have your Airpoints number ready when you call our contact centre.
- When booking via travel agent: Provide your travel agent with your Airpoints number at your time of booking.
- When paying for a flight with your Airpoints Dollars™, any associated airport or government costs are payable by credit card, OneSmart card or POLi.
Star Alliance and partner airlines
Take advantage of our airline partnerships and use your Airpoints Dollars on a range of flights from our Star Alliance partners and our other partner airlines.
You can use Airpoints Dollars to pay for some flights operated by our alliance partners directly through the Air New Zealand website. These flights are:
- United Airlines operated flights between Auckland and San Francisco
- Air China operated flights between Auckland and Beijing
- Cathay Pacific operated flights between Auckland or Christchurch and Hong Kong
- Qantas operated domestic Australia flights purchased in conjunction with an Air New Zealand international flight
Alternatively, Airpoints members based in New Zealand may now book partner reward flights on our Star Alliance partners through our new online portal.
For reward flights on our other partners (e.g. Virgin Atlantic and Etihad), please call our contact centre.
To check how many Airpoints Dollars you'll need for your flight, see our partner airline reward chart.
Gifting Airpoints Dollars
You could use your Airpoints Dollars to give the gift of flight to those living in your household. And in some instances you may also be able to extend your gifting to those outside your household. Find out more.
As an Airpoints member you could be eligible for access to specially priced companion tickets when you purchase a Business class, Premium Economy, Economy Flexi, Flexi Works or Flexi Works Deluxe ticket. Find out more about how to use your Airpoints Dollars on companion tickets.
When you fly internationally with Air New Zealand, you can use your Airpoints Dollars onboard to purchase food & beverages*, wine, merchandise, or Koru membership via your seatback screen. You can purchase movie upgrades on Seat and Seat + Bag fares for 10 Airpoints Dollars - just sign into your Air New Zealand account to start shopping. You can now also purchase Inflight Wi-Fi on selected flights by connecting to the Air NZ_InflightWiFi network on your device.