Credit and refund information
Credit and refunds
COVID-19 information hub
Book with confidence
What is a credit?
A credit is a commitment from Air New Zealand to honour the value of your COVID-19-affected flights. You can use your credit to book flights book flights by 31 December 2021 and travel within 12 months of making your booking.
Your credit includes any of the following which apply to your booking:
- the original fare,
- all taxes paid (including GST),
- any Air New Zealand flight products, e.g. Seats to Suit, Economy Skycouch, Seat Select, extra bag(s).
- any unaccompanied minor fees, credit card surcharges, or booking fees.
- any carbon-offsetting contributions.
Some things are not included in your credit value, such as insurance, hotels, and rental cars.
One credit is issued per booking. If you have multiple eligible bookings, you will be issued multiple credits.
Are my flights eligible?
The following are eligible for credits as part of our COVID-19 response:
- Domestic flights booked to travel:
- between 11th August 2020 and 31st March 2021.
- between 24 January 2020 and 30 June 2020
- International flights booked to travel between 24 January 2020 and 31 March 2021.
What are the key dates?
- Opt-in for a credit before the original flight date.
- Redeem the credit by booking new flights by 31 December 2021.
- Travel within 12 months from the time you made the booking.
- All credits are valid for booking until the 31 December 2021.
How do I view my credit balance?
- Online using our online credit tool
- Ask our chat bot, Oscar "What is my credit balance?"
- On your E-ticket - your credit includes the original fare, taxes (including GST) paid, any flight products including Seats to Suit, Economy Skycouch, Seat Select, extra bag(s), or any unaccompanied minor fees, credit card surcharges, booking fees, and carbon offsetting contributions.
How do I use my credit?
- Where? You can use your credit on any Air New Zealand domestic or international flights, regardless of your original ticket type.
- Who? You can use your credit to buy flights for yourself or someone else.
- How? Use your credit online or by calling our Contact Centre. If your new flight is more than your credit value, any additional payment must be made using a credit card (no credit card fee will be charged).
See the full credit terms and conditions for more information.
Do I need to spend my credit all at once?
My credit is not enough for my new flights. What are my options? Can I combine multiple credits?
I can't access the credit tool - how can I use my credit?
What can I use my credit for? Can I use it to book a hotel?
I received an email saying my credit has been redeemed, but I have no knowledge of this. What do I do?
My credit is from a group booking - how can I use it?
I've booked through a travel agent, when will I hear about my credit?
Fares are only refundable under the following criteria:
- It was specified in the original conditions of your fare, or
- Local legislation requires a refund when a flight is cancelled by the operating airline.
Refundable fare types
You can find the full details of your fare type on our fare rules page. Your fare type is noted on the receipt page of your E-ticket.
Relevant local legislation
Below are some examples of local legislation that may apply to an eligible flight cancelled by Air New Zealand:
- US refund laws apply to flights to/from/within and via the US, regardless of country of residence or purchase.
- Regulation 261/2004 applies to flights departing the EU or UK on any airline, and flights arriving in the EU or UK operated by a European Carrier. The regulation gives passengers the option of requesting a refund, regardless of the country of residence or purchase.
- A refund may also be available in the following jurisdictions, provided that the passenger is resident in the applicable jurisdiction and the travel commences or ends in that jurisdiction:
- South Korea
- Mainland China
Can my credit or new ticket be refunded?
Can I use credit to book a refundable fare?
I don’t want to travel anymore, what are my options?
I'm logged into my Airpoints account but I can't see my credits - where are they?
I paid for my booking with Airpoints Dollars – what happens now?
Can I transfer other credits to Airpoints Dollars?
Will I earn Airpoints Dollars and Status points when I use my credit?
Other travel products
Our partners provide other travel products both within our online booking service and via standalone websites. While we can't give you a credit on their behalf, you can contact them directly and they will be able to offer support based on their individual policies, as well as the conditions of your booking.
You can find more information about how our travel partners are assisting with cancelled travel plans below: