Credit and refund information
Our online credit redemption and information platform is being built at pace and will be ready in late July 2020. In the meantime, we are ramping up our Contact Centre to ensure customers can redeem their credits and refunds. We will also be contacting customers in the coming weeks to communicate their credit balance. We appreciate your understanding and patience as we navigate these exceptional times alongside New Zealand and the rest of the world.
Fares are only refundable if this was specified in the original conditions of your fare or if local legislation requires a refund when a flight is cancelled by the operating airline.
You can find your fare type on the receipt page of your E-ticket. See our fare rules for full details of your fare conditions, including if your fare type is refundable.
We have set out below some examples of local legislation that may apply to an eligible flight cancelled by Air New Zealand:
- US refund laws apply to flights to/from/within and via the US, regardless of country of residence or purchase.
- Regulation 261/2004 applies to flights departing the EU or UK on any airline, and flights arriving in the EU or UK operated by a European Carrier. The regulation gives passengers the option of requesting a refund, regardless of the country of residence or purchase.
- A refund may also be available in the following jurisdictions, provided that the passenger is resident in the applicable jurisdiction and the travel commences or ends in that jurisdiction:
- South Korea
Arrange a refund
You can arrange a refund by calling our Contact Centre on 0800 737 000. We are experiencing a large number of calls, so please delay your call if you can.
We are offering customers credit for COVID-19-affected flights so they can travel at a later date.
The following are eligible for credits:
- Domestic flights booked to travel between 24 January and 30 June 2020 (this deadline has now passed).
- International flights booked to travel between 24 January and 31 August 2020.
Please note, the following conditions apply to these credits:
- You must opt-in for a credit before the original flight date
- You must redeem the credit by booking new flights by 30 June 2021
- You will have 12 months to complete your travel from the time you make the booking
- Your credit is not restricted to the same route or type of journey that was originally booked
- You can use your credit to purchase flights for yourself, or someone else
- You can redeem the credit against any available Air New Zealand operated flight, and you will need to pay any fare difference. Any additional payment required must be made using a credit card. A credit card fee will not be charged.
- All credits retain the original refund rules of the tickets placed in credit. A non-refundable fare remains non-refundable. This also applies to any new fare purchased with the credit, even if the new fare is a flexible fare.
- Any Airpoints Dollars™ used to pay for the original booking will be returned to the account they were paid from
- Any Airpoints Dollars used to pay for the original booking that may have since expired or will soon expire will be held in credit and their expiry date extended until 30 June 2021. If the original expiry date of the returned Airpoints Dollars was after 30 June 2021, the original expiry date will apply.
Please note that while the online confirmation message currently states a date 350 days from the day you requested your credit, we have extended all credits to be valid until the 30 June 2021.
To request a credit or to confirm your booking is held in credit please enter your booking details below:
Check your credit balance
You can now check the balance of most credits using our chatbot, Oscar!
Just ask "What is my credit balance?" and he will do his best to retrieve it for you. You will need your booking reference number and the last name on the booking.
Redeeming your credit
Requested your credit and ready to book? We are building a way for you to easily access your credit online and rebook in the future. While we are getting this ready for you, if you wish to rebook and use your credit please see our credit redemption options.
If you want to use your credit to book urgent travel, please call our Contact Centre. We apologise for any delay in answering your call.
Other travel products
Our partners provide other travel products both within our online booking service and via standalone websites. While we can't give you a credit on their behalf, you can contact them directly and they will be able to offer support based on their individual policies, as well as the conditions of your booking.
You can find more information about how our travel partners are assisting with cancelled travel plans below: